So this one I made for my friend Isabella de la Vega. I tried a few new things with this one, namely some very complicated shapes. Her device is a phoenix displayed, so that means lots of feathers and fire.
|Oh yea, and a crescent on top|
I traced the design she game me and used the ballpoint pen method mentioned previously to mark the design in the leather. This time, I tried using the bevel stamp as well as the swivel knife on the leather. The idea with the bevel stamp was you basicly crush the edges of the design down, leaving a raised area around the phoenix.
Now, I'm not that practiced with the knife or the stamp, and all the little lines caused me no end of grief. But the end product I was quite happy with. It really seems to pop off the leather. Next step, the dying!
I wanted to use the same technique I used on the previous bracer, which is waterproof the design and dye the rest darker. Seems I was too excited to remmeber and applied the first coat of dye all over the darn thing! But all is not lost! I painted on the waterproofing, waited for it to dry, then gave it two more coats of dye.
|None too shabby!|
I was quite happy with how it turned out. It was a tad darker than I intended, but the extra dye gave it enough of a contrast for the phoenix to really stand out. Just goes to show you gotta be paying attention, leather isn't that forgiving.
Turns out Isabella wanted a really strikingly dark bracer, so I'm glad I was able to oblidge her. I gave the thing another coat of waterproofing (so the dye wouldn't run in wet or sweaty weather), laced it up and gave it away. Hmmm I should get some pictures of her wearing it...